Friday, May 17, 2013

Seoul Day 2: Gyeongbokgung, Bukchon hanok village, Insadong, Myeongdong

Day 2

Headed to Gyeongbokgung on the second day. Apparently this is the prettiest palace but I can't compare since I only visited one palace in Seoul. Walked around on my own without a tour since I was there early and the English tour was only at 11am. I didn't learn about any history of the palace and everything looked the same to me since I had no idea what it was used for.



Royal guards changing ceremony






Visited a very popular samgyetang (ginseng chicken) place for lunch. Lots of tourists and locals visit Tosokchon for its signature samgyetang (15,000 won). I think this samgyetang stands out because lots of herbs and ingredients were used. You can really taste the goodness in the soup.


Visited Paris Baguette for dessert. Got a patbingsu with green tea ice cream (7,500 won) I felt that the shaved ice was a little too rough. I really love patbingsu! My only regret is that I didn't get to try the nicer patbingsus around. :< If you are going to Seoul, you can check this 9 places to get patbingsu in Seoul! My friends recommended me Homilbat in the Sinchon/Ewha area so do try it! Paris Baguette's one is not very good in my opinion.


Next was bukchon hanok village. You can get a map from the tourist information centre after you exit from Anguk station and the map is really useful to let you know where are the spots to visit in the village.



Walked over to Insadong and it was raining. Left for Myeongdong quite quickly since there was nothing much!


Had dinner at Myeongdong Kyoja. It's a restaurant that only has 4 dishes on their menu and every item costs 8,000 won. 

This is their signature dish. I like the texture of the noodles! It's smooth and chewy but the dumplings were pretty small.


Can't find the original picture so I have to screen shot :/ Anyway I love the mandu! It tastes a little like xiaolongbao, except that there is a more generous serving of meat. This is a must try!

Dessert at Twosome cafe (Siwon's pop up cafe)

Myeongdong is a shopping heaven! Or maybe I should say comestics and skin care shopping heaven! You can easily find Etude house, tony moly, nature republic, face shop, innisfree, laneige etc. and it's CHEAP! I think you will burn most money here. Most brands have A FEW stores in Myeongdong, it's pretty overwhelming. They have lots of salesgirls who can speak English and Chinese so you don't have to worry about language barrier. And you get lots of free samples too! I collected 10 masks and lots of other samples over the 9 days in Seoul. Oh, look out for stores with global tax free/global blue tax free logo so you can claim for tax refund if you spend above 30,000 won. For clothes wise, I think it is better than Dongdaemun as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment