Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Day 6: San Francisco

We decided to cycle to Golden Gate Bridge! I was quite excited since I never cycled overseas before. Moreover, I haven't exercised for super long so this is going to be a good work out to burn off some calories from the amount of junk I've been eating for the past few months!

Lucky for us, the bike rental store was pretty near our hotel. Walked there and rented bikes. Didn't really want to wear a helmet or buy insurance but since the rest did, I just followed suit. Learnt that it is illegal to cycle on the pedestrian paths in San Francisco so we had to cycle on the roads. Not very sure how cycling rules work in Singapore actually, is it the same? I haven't got to really cycle on the streets of Singapore because I've never gone for a single hall night cycling. Both years I had something on :< Really wanted to try that though. Anyway, it was really cool cycling along the roads! I felt so happy and carefree. The weather was good too so it was super shiok :D

Our first stop was a very popular sourdough bread bakery called Boudin which is near the Fisherman's Wharf. Tried their popular clam chowder soup in the bread bowl but I felt the soup was alright only, a little too salty for my liking. It was also a little fishy, but probably also because they used authentic seafood. Preferred the tomato one though!



Continued cycling after the meal and started to see Golden Gate Bridge from a distance. The route was pretty challenging because there were several hills and slopes. I haven't cycled for soooo long, so I kinda gave up on the slopes and pushed my bike up instead after awhile. LOL. Took more photos as we approached closer to Golden Gate Bridge. That is also when my camera officially died. It hit the rocks while TY was trying to take a pic for me and broke :O I didn't feel angry or sad or anything, because I was really in a good mood due to the good weather and the fact that we are cycling in San Francisco! Nothing can ruin my day haha. (TY, I hope you don't feel bad about it) We cycled on Golden Gate Bridge itself too! It was narrow and sooo crowded, being the impatient me, I just kept ringing my bell to tell people to siam. LOL. Oh well, they won't remember my face anyway :D

After crossing the bridge, we had to cycle to another place where we could catch a ferry back. Apparently 90% of the people would take a ferry back instead of cycling because the slopes are too challenging. It's true. There were several parts that the downslopes were so long and steep that I didn't have to paddle at all for like 2-3 minutes at least. DAMN SHIOK, but also a little scary so I had to constantly hold the brakes or I would fly! I cannot imagine anyone cycling up the slopes in the opposite direction, it would be insane unless they are pros.

Super amazed that the ferry allows people to bring their bikes back as well. I think more than half of the people in the ferry cycled there! Cycled for the last bit to return our bikes and had a good dinner back at the Thai place again. It was quite a horrible experience. The person rejected our TIPS because she say they cannot accept so many coins. Hello it's gratuity and you are rejecting it? So she broke our note for us and took a part of it. Good food but the service sucks.

Anyway, I really love this adventure, I think it's the most exciting and memorable thing I've done in my exchange!

No comments:

Post a Comment